Our Blog

Welcome to the build log of the FX LIVE! Studio Remodel!

The FX LIVE! Studio is also our classroom that we broadcast out across the country for our students that can’t get in to trade with us locally. While it was definitely about the looks, we also went through and installed some much needed wiring (out of sight) to increase the audio and video quality of our broadcast as well.

Some students were curious of the process, so we thought we should go ahead and put this build journal together for anyone that likes these sorts of things. Enjoy!This is what the Studio looked like before the remodel began. Definitely not as cool as we wanted it to look.


Let the work begin. The first step was to build the right side frame out of 2×4. We chose to cover it in melamine instead of drywall since it is finished right from home depot (although it was insanely heavy to work with). The plan was to have the larger piece be the backdrop for our projector that we planned to mount on it later on hidden behind a fascia, with a larger piece below sticking out to give it a nice look. Lots of saw cuts were made in the name of this idea.Well that was incredibly heavy to pick up and slide against the wall. Time to build the bigger one.

We left a little crawlspace open (that ends up being on the right side later on) to get up behind it to plug in the many many wires that we planned on running behind it and up into the attic and over to the production booth located at the opposite end of the room. Taking a quick break while lifting this monster wall to reflect on our lives and why we aren’t having someone else do this. We managed to get it up and strapped through sheer will and are now mounting the projector screens to get their dimensions.

Now we are on the home stretch of painting the entire office, running cables, setting up all the new tech, then moving what seems like 10,000 tools out. Almost there. Well this should be fun.

We used a string tied to a block of wood to throw over to where we needed the cables. We attached the string on our end to a group of cables, then dragged them through the attic.

I got pretty good at throwing that piece of wood. Will use on future resumes. The finished product!

This remodel took about 6, 10 – 14 hour days to complete. We didn’t get to the final stage (as shown in the picture) until about 3am monday morning with students arriving to trade at 5am so we cut it pretty close, but it turned out okay. And here we are with the new and improved studio in use!

Thanks to all the staff that helped with this. We couldn’t have done it without you.

And our deepest thanks to the students that show up here every morning at 5am to trade with us. Without you this would all be for nothing.

-The FX365I Team

There was an issue loading your timed LeadBox™. Please check plugin settings.
There was an issue loading your exit LeadBox™. Please check plugin settings.